Tatsuo Itoh, Distinguished Professor and Northrop Grumman Chair in Microwave Electronics
National Academy of Inventors, 2013
National Academy of Engineering, 2003
Fellow, IEEE, 1982
Research Group: Microwave Electronics Laboratory
Office: 66-147A Engr. IV, Phone: 310.206.4820, Email
Tatsuo Itoh earned the B.S.E.E. and the M.S.E.E. at Yokohama National University in 1964 and 1966, respectively. He received the Ph.D. degree in electrical engineering from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign in 1969.
From September 1966 to April 1976, Dr. Itoh was with the Electrical Engineering Department at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. From April 1976 to August 1977, he was a Senior Research Engineer in the Radio Physics Laboratory, SRI International in Menlo Park, CA. From August 1977 to June 1978, he was an Associate Professor at the University of Kentucky, Lexington. In July 1978, he joined the faculty at the University of Texas at Austin, where he became a professor of electrical engineering in 1981 and Director of the Electrical Engineering Research Laboratory in 1984. During the summer of 1979, he was a Guest Researcher at AEG-Telefunken, Ulm, Germany. In September 1983, he was selected to hold the Hayden Head Centennial Professorship of Engineering at the University of Texas at Austin. In September 1984, he was appointed Associate Chairman for Research and Planning of the Electrical and Computer Engineering Department.
Professor Itoh has been with the University of California at Los Angeles since 1991, as professor and as holder of the Northrop Grumman Chair in Microwave and Millimeter Wave Electronics (formerly the TRW Endowed Chair in Microwave and Millimeter Wave Electronics). He was also an Honorary Visiting Professor at Nanjing Institute of Technology, China, and at the Japan Defense Academy. In April 1994, he was appointed as Adjunct Research Officer for the Communications Research Laboratory, Ministry of Post and Telecommunication, Japan. He currently holds a Visiting Professorship at the University of Leeds, Leeds, U.K., and is an External Examiner of the Graduate Program of City University of Hong Kong.
Prof. Itoh has authored or co-authored over 250 journal publications, 475 refereed conference presentations, and over 26 books/book chapters in the area of microwaves, millimeter waves, antennas, and numerical electromagnetics. He has also produced 42 Ph.D. students. He was the chairman of USNC/URSI Commission D from 1988 to 1990, the vice chairman of Commission D of the International URSI from 1991-- 1993, and chairman of the same Commission from 1993-1996. He is on the Long Range Planning Committee of URSI. He serves on advisory boards and committees of numerous other organizations.
Dr. Itoh is a member of the Institute of Electronics and Communication Engineers of Japan, and Commissions B and D of USNC/URSI. He served as the Editor-in-Chief of the IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques from 1983 to 1985, and of the IEEE Microwave and Guided Wave Letters from 1991 to 1994. He serves on the Administrative Committee of the IEEE Microwave Theory and Techniques Society (MTT-S). He was vice president of the IEEE MTT-S in 1989 and president in 1990. He has received a number of awards, including the 1998 Shida Award from the Japanese Ministry of Post and Telecommunications and the 1998 Japan Microwave Prize.
Microwave and millimeter wave electronics, guided wave structures, low power wireless electronics, integrated passive components and antennas.
Awards and Recognitions
- 2013 National Academy of Inventors
- 2011 IEEE/MTT-S Microwave Career Award
- 2003 Distinguished Microwave Lecturer
- 2003 National Academy of Engineering
- 2001 Nikola Tesla Award
- 2000 IEEE Third Millennium Medal
- 2000 Distinguished Educator Award
- 1998 Japan Microwave Prize
- 1998 Shida Rinzaburo Award, Japan Ministry of Post & Telecommunications
- 1994 Honorary Life Member Award, IEEE Microwave Theory & Tech. Society
- 1990 Distinguished Alumnus Award, ECE Department, UI Urbana-Champaign
- C. Caloz and T. Itoh, Electromagnetic Materials, Wiley-IEEE Press, 2005.
- T. Itoh, G. Haddad, and J. Harvey, editors, RF Technologies for Low Power Wireless Communications Wiley Inter-Science, 2001.
- T. Itoh, G. Pelosi, and P. P. Silvester, editors, Finite Element Software for Microwave Engineering, Wiley, NY, 1996.
- T. Itoh, editor, Numerical Techniques for Microwave and Millimeter-wave Passive Structures Wiley, NY, 1989.
- T. Itoh, editor, Planar Transmission Line Structures IEEE Press, NY, 1987.