Admissions Information for Junior Transfer Students
The University requires applicants to have completed a minimum of 60 transferable semester units (90 quarter units) and two transferable English courses, prior to enrolling at UCLA. In addition, to be considered, all applicants to HSSEAS majors must have at least a 3.2 GPA for their college work. Excellent grades, especially for courses in preparation for the major, are expected.
Completion of the required courses in preparation for the major is critical for admission. Articulation agreements between California Community Colleges and UCLA's Henry Samueli School of Engineering and Applied Science (HSSEAS) include college specific course numbers for these requirements and can be found at ASSIST, an online student-transfer information system that shows how course credits earned at one public California college or university can be applied when transferred to another. ASSIST is the official repository of articulation for California's public colleges and universities and provides the most accurate and up-to-date information about student transfer in California.
The UCLA Admissions Office and the UCLA Registrar Office maintain excellent websites for prospective students, that include admission information, the UCLA General Catalog, graduation statistics, tours, and other information. Important information for international students is also available at the UCLA admissions site.
HSSEAS recommends that transfer applicants complete, in addition to the two required English composition courses, 2-3 electives from those listed below. You must complete at least one course from Social and Behavioral Science or Arts and Humanities to be eligible for admission. (HSSEAS does not accept IGETC certification, but courses may be selected from the IGETC areas in parentheses below).
To graduate from UCLA, you must have completed the following:
- One course equivalent to UCLA's English 3 (generally found as Writing 1A or Writing I).
- One Writing II composition course (generally Writing 1B or Writing II)
- One Engineering Ethics course, to be taken at UCLA
- One life science elective (select one from Biological Science, lab not required)
- Two electives from Foundations of Society and Culture: one from Historical Analysis and one from Social Analysis (select two courses from Social and Behavioral Science)
- Two electives from Foundations of Arts and Humanities: one from each of two chosen groups: the groups are Visual and Performance Art, Literature and Cultural Analysis Philosophical and Linguistic Analysis (select two courses from Arts and Humanities).
For questions about HSSEAS undergraduate admissions policies contact the admissions staff via Email. Please note in your email whether you would be applying as a freshman or a transfer.